Here there is two ways to do it. One is called free range chickens, That's basically letting them go after they are fairly grown, To roam your land and eat the bugs and grass. I have a friend that does this with chickens and geese to protect the chickens. If you ever been around geese their good watch dogs for other animals. He has 20 at least. It works well for him. Before I had fencing up on my land I started raising chickens. I didn't choose free range method for worries of dogs and coyote's. I built a 8'x 12' coop with roost and laying baskets. I have 13 and one Rooster. If your looking for a book that will show you how to raise many thing animal and vegetable. I would suggest "Storey's Basic country skills" a book on practical self reliance. Should be available at any larger book store. It will cost you about 25 dollars. If you have any questions that I can help you with feel free to PM me.

I believe in absolute Freedom, as little interference from any government as possible...And I'll fight any man trying to take that away from me.

Jimmy Greywolf