On a recent backpacking trip I came upon a cache of tons of hand tools. There were about 15 blue helmets, 15 of each- loppers, spade and square shovels, 8ft 1 inch steel 'pikes', normal and hand 5lb sledges, various axes, etc. etc.
It was poorly located, as I noticed the blue helmets from about 100 yds away on the trail.
Further down the trail we came upon a very well stocked camp with no horses. RO water systems, wheel barrows, a huge canvas tent, portable picnic tables, propane tanks, and a 'wall' under a tarp that had hooks holding 10-15 packs.
Keep in mind, we were about 4 hours hike up a steep uphill canyon from the trailhead.

Upon talking to one of the 2 people at the camp, we found that they were part of the California Conservation Corps, and that they maintain the backpacking trails.

I got to thinking, with the employment market failing, and society in urban settings getting more and more irate at their poverty... What a great idea to go live in the woods, make stable money (through the summer), get a little extra training in on the weekends (already being in the forest), perhaps make a few new friends of the movement, keep fit, and conquer my addiction to grids (natural gas, municipal water & electricity) and gasoline...

Plus if TSHTF I'd already be home wink

I'm debating it for next year, if things stick around that long...

What do you know of the conservation corps?