I have been looking around a while for ways to have a long-term source of water. The general consensus seems to be "drill a well".

But, for those of us patriots living in the suburbs... it isn't really always allowed.

So, I have been doing research... compiling information. Figuring things out.

The challenge, one of the most difficult there is. A 1/4 acre of land, most of which is covered with concrete for the home/driveway/etc. And, to make matters worse, the rain water may be polluted with chemicals from the refineries just a few dozen miles away.

Of course, I want to know what yall think. I have come up with my own plan though, and I expect you will all find plenty of problems... thats why I'm posting it.

Here is the plan...

1. Rainwater must be collected. A rain gutter on the edge of a corrugated steel shed roof, that leads into a storage tank in the form of a large trashcan.

2. From here, this water is scooped out and boiled for several minutes using a Fresnel Lens. This lens concentrates sunlight, and can boil a pan full of water in a matter of seconds. This step will remove any chemicals that evaporate faster than water.

3. The boiled water is now put into a solar still. I big one. The evaporation tray is a "kiddie pool", the condensation sheet is a clear shower curtain, the water is collected in a pot, the sheet is held on with a big bungee cord, and a rock is used to weigh down the condensation sheet in the middle.

4. The sun will distill the water, with any impurities that will not evaporate being left behind... and only clean water being left in the pot in the center.

5. Once the pot is pretty full, it is removed. The water is transfered to clean PET bottles. Once in these bottles, it is placed onto the surrogated steel shed roof, so that UV light from the sun can disinfect it for the WHO approved length of time.

Water comes from the sky. Purification, and sterilization comes from the sky. You wouldn't ever really need to leave the 1/4 acre assuming you could also grow food and could bottle it.

Of course, supplies should be stocked... but this way if something happens to it you can get water. Let's say a tree falls into your home and lands right on your water supply, it crushes/pops most of the bottles. Or maybe you learn your water has gone bad in storage.

This could save you potentially...

Criticism? Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks.