We often talk about places or types of places to go to when the SHTF, but we almost never talk about the places to avoid. I've made my own small list just off the top of my head.

1) Cities. Hungry rioters & street thugs = a bad day.
2) Areas with prisons near by. If caught, it is VERY convenient for your captors to imprison you in a secure facility. Also, if the prisoners there were either released or broke out, they may become a problem for you if they cross paths with you.
3) Indian reservations. When most people think about living without their typical amenities, they often think about doing things "the way the Indians used to do." Therefore, I suspect that upon realizing that they themselves have no clue how to do things the "Indian way", they'll be trying to get onto their nearest reservation, expecting that just by telling the Indians that they have a Cherokee grandmother, that they'llbe greeted with open arms, be taught by some wise old Indian about the Great Spirit, & make corn meal with a "squaw." They couldn't be more mistaken. The Indians are much smarter than that & will set up road blocks & man them with their own tribal militia. They barely grow enough food to keep themselves fed as it is. If they find you on their land, good luck. Do yourself a favor & stay clear of Indian reservations.
5) Washington D.C. metro area. If you live up in northern VA, go either south or west. If you live in central MD, go to southern or western MD, just stay away from the many military installations.
4) Southern CA. Most of it is city anyway. Also, many of the Aztlan types will be thinking its a good time for an "Aztlan Revolution." Do yourself a favor & go east to the mountains.
5) Hospitals. There will be way too many agents of hostile forces there. Unless something is seriously life-threatening, avoid hosptals at all costs. If you need medical care, see a vet or make an un-annouced visit at the doctor's house at night.
6) Bridges & tunnels. Especially the ones with toll booths. These can very easily be turned into check points. Before crossing a bridge, do some recon. Talk with some locals if you have to & find out if there's a checkpoint. If it even looks like there's a slight chance of it, you better find yourself some sort of water transportation. You probably will want to go a ways up or downstream & wait until dark to avoid being seen by JBTs on the bridge.
7) Schools. These can easily be turned into prisons. They may be referred to as "evacuation centers", but the "evacuees" won't have the freedom to leave.
8) Places below sea-level. If you live in a place where you look UP & see ships going by above you, you need to get to higher ground.

I'm sure you guys have some more places to avoid in mind. Shoot.

On equipment: You get what you inspect, not what you expect.
On training: Our drills are bloodless battles so that our battles are bloody drills.
On tactics: Cheating just means you're serious about winning.