I wasn't sure where to put this, so here it is:

I have a sincere question that I'd like feedback on...

Is it possible for a guy in his 50's to regain the stamina and fitness he had in earlier years, w/o the use of drugs/enhancers? I find myself at 53 in "less than prime" shape at what could be the worst timing of my life.... I see actors like Stallone staying in shape, but assume he has access to trainers, et al, that I could never hope for.

As a 2009 resolution, I intend to do all the exercises, hiking, etc. that I admit I have let slip in recent years. I really do believe I could carry through, too.

BUT, we read that at this age the testosterone levels are lower, same with growth hormone levels. If the body doesn't rebuild like a youngster, will there be results worth working for? Complicating things, I know I have low thyroid levels and need to remedy that, along with marginally high blood pressure and high cholesterol (ain't America great! land of plenty..)

Are there any legal, attainable "supplements" that would enhance this effort and help get results? I'm not really interested in anecdotal stories, I want to know of success stories! I'm not rich, but would invest in my body's future if I knew there was a pay-off. I'm willing to do the work but need the incentive of knowing there is solid hope for results.

I suppose I'm looking to hear from those of you in my (older) boat, and the challenges you've conquered or faced.

Younger guys go ahead and chip in too! Just don't tell me how easy it will be to get buffed-- you haven't faced old man time yet!

3rdJohn11
"Beloved, follow not that which is evil, but that which is good. He that doeth good is of God: but he that doeth evil hath not seen God."